Current Challenge

Drink @ least 8 cups of water every day.
See post here
for more details.

Friday, May 15, 2015

10 Ways to Find My Happiness Again

So, I'm sitting here at almost midnight on a Friday night.

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis.

I weigh the most I've ever weighed in my life...non-pregnant. I feel 'stuck' in my job, which is my own personal business. I am getting terrible sleep (yeah, it's midnight, remember?). My skin has the worst acne I've ever had. I am not a patient, fun-loving, mom I used to be. To be honest, my relationship with my husband is in a lull, too. I am just in an overall funk.

What's missing?

Is this because I'm nearing the big 3-0 in a month and a half?

Is it because we are moving in a month?

Is it because I just am overwhelmed and need to simplify?

I think it is a combination of all of those things and a few others if I am truly honest with myself. I think the number one thing affecting me being my physical well-being (aka sleep, diet, and weight/health). I know I am getting OLDER, but I have never felt it more than I do in the past 6 months.

So, I've been brainstorming over the past few weeks what changes I need to make. There are already some big changes coming up as we move to another state for my husband to start with yet another residency (luckily the last one though)! Here are my top ten changes I need to make to be ME again:

1. Sleep
Get a decent amount of sleep each night... BUT not only this, get up earlier. I remember a time a little over two years ago when I felt the BEST I ever had. The biggest change I'd made in my life was getting up earlier AND...

2. Working out daily
I got up early and first thing- went to the gym or for a run. I worked out first thing. Before anyone else in the house was awake. I made me and my health a priority. It was amazing and I FELT so much better. It was great to feel so happy and productive. Getting up early just gave me that jump start to the day and got my workout out of the way early so I could keep my focus throughout the day to...

3. Eat GOOD foods
After my workout I would make sure to clean house a bit while I made my smoothie or breakfast. This start to my day set the tone for the rest of the day. I didn't have 'guilt' either if I splurged a little here or there because I'd already got my workout in for the day.

4. Devotionals
I need to make time to focus my day and my family's day around Christ. I KNOW as I have done this the day just seems to go better. The kids are happier. I feel more patient. I feel more guided and directed. I feel connected to my greater purpose. It is so important to keep an eternal perspective on life, especially when things get hard, which they ALWAYS do. Taking time to do this transforms my experiences or those 'trials' though and helps me learn cheerfully through them.

5. Simplify
I am so sick of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I recently purged 10 HUGE garbage bags full of clothes between my 5 year old, my 3 year old, and myself. And we still had closets and dressers full. That's a bit ridiculous and makes me realize why I ALWAYS had laundry to clean. It makes me realize that there are SO many other material ways we can simplify too: toys, dishes, clutter and random homeless items that never really have a spot so they just keep getting moved from one place to the next. I refuse to move so much purpose-LESS junk with me.

6. Get Away
I've realized that I have a love-affair with traveling. I recently went to Bali, solo, for about a week and a half. It was a life-changing experience. Since I haven't been able to stop thinking about other places I want to see, things I want to do, etc. My husband has always wanted to sky-dive. It scares the bee-gee-bees out of me, but if it is something he wants to do, then he should do it before he gets too old to enjoy it, right? My kids LOVE road trips. We sit at home all day doing so little though. THIS needs to change.

7. Decrease screen time
...For both me and my family. I know that the more I am connected to a screen the more my quality of REAL life decreases. It is a hard truth to admit to ourselves and an ever harder truth to live it seems for me. I am always walking around with my phone in hand and love binge-watching a good show on Netflix, but let's face the reality-horn here (whatever that is)... it adds NOTHING, zip, zero, zilch, to the eternal quality of my life unless it is intentional time (which is VERY seldom if we are honest, yet again, with ourselves... or it begins as intentional and then we get lost in the world of pinterest or Facebook).

8. Increase outside time
It is so important to spend time outside in nature. What is sad is that I am surrounded by amazing beautiful trails, forests, and biking paths and I've only taken advantage of them one single time so far this spring. Sad. I know. As we connect with nature we are able to feel more calm, peace, and grounded. We are able to get back to the truly important things. (Idea: I need to combine 6, 7, and 8 and go camping with the family for the weekend!)

9. Structure CAN be good!
I am NOT good at structure. There was a time when I was, but it hasn't been lately. Kids thrive with structure though and adults aren't much different. I know that having set hours for work will make me feel more balanced. I work during those hours gung-ho and when the time is done, I am clocked out and with my family. That is that. It makes everyone so much happier when balance is achieved. I also loved it when I planned out meals. Oh my goodness that made 5 o'clock pm so easy. I knew what was for dinner, things were already thawed, in the fridge, or whatever. I didn't have to think about it or over stress. Having that structure in for dinners was SO nice.

10. Create & Learn
Take time to make things. Pick up paints. Pick up pens, paper, pencil, whatever it may be. Create. Sit at the piano and play. Practice. Read new books. Study. Take notes. Expand my mind. These are all things that have been sorely lacking the last year unfortunately and I think my inner-creative-soul aches for this.

So... there you have it. My list of 10 things I need to do to find my true peace and happiness again. THAT is what I am going to be focusing on the next 6 weeks... to start. Starting with my physical health. So... Good night and here's to a new tomorrow!

No comments: